Friday, August 17, 2007

Transformers

As a fan of the old cartoon and haven seen some early cgi I was really looking forward to this film......and it must be said Bay and Spielberg do a great job...the special effects are fantastic....when they transform throughout the movie it looks amazing but for me it truly stands out when Autobot fight Decepticon..... its mouth gaping destruction on a massive scale and I loved every minute of it! I was also vastly impressed with Shia LaBeouf who I had only seen before in that old kids show Even Stevens....he plays his role very well and looks the business which of course I'm sure will attract female attention but also eases my fear of him being the son in the new Indiana Jones movie.. I think he may be good now!! Megan Fox does the love interest adequately aswell and I do think she is a pretty girl...apparently though she was told to put on a bit of weight for this film as they thought she was getting too thin.... She did what she was told and put on a further ten pounds.... I still didn't see a pick on her!! They also got the voice talent of Peter Cullen back and as soon as you hear him speak at the beginning of the movie as Optimus Prime your immediately brought back to the old 80's animation...he just has one of those voices....not that he was ever limited to Optimus he had a lot of voice work in his career in many cartoons such as Venger from Dungeons and Dragons, Cindar in Visionaries and various characters in Ducktails, Gummi Bears, Winnie the Pooh, GI Joe, Johnny Quest, the real Ghostbusters, etc the list is as long as your arm...Its funny though because Cullen used to voice another Autobot called 'Ironhide' too ..but they got another guy in for that part in the film ..Strange?....Anyway.I personally feel nobody else but Cullen could voice Prime and I'm delighted they got him!! Its also really neat all the different nods and trivia to the early animation in this movie amongst other things.......... but my favourite is When Bumblebee introduces himself to Sam and Mikaela, speaking through the radio, he plays the sound bite, "Across the immense gulf of space"; the voice is that of Orson Welles from his infamous 1939 radio broadcast "The War of the Worlds." Wells provided the voice of the planet devouring transformer named Unicron in Transformers: The Movie (1986) which was Welles' final film performance. I thought that was great!! Of course it did have its bad points too for a start Optimus's mouth just didn't look right (yep I'm scraping the barrel I know ) but aswell as that Megatron isn't in it near enough either...he's frozen throughout and only freed near the end... I think I would have preferred to have seen much more scenes of him with his Decepticons together much like the way it was in the old animation....... If you like all action....or a special effects extravaganza...or just want to be brought back a tiny bit to your childhood .....then go see it... you won't be disappointed!!
For more in depth conversation about this and many other Movies and Tv Shows Please visit the forum FilmFlicking by simply clicking on the link...

http://filmflicking.myfastforum.org/index.php


No comments: